The LangSoc committee works tirelessly around the clock. We do several things:
- Arrange events for LangSoc
- Give support to students who are in need of grammaticality judgements
- Argue about the agreement markings in “the committee has/have agreed.”
Please feel free to contact us with any questions. For more technical aspects of the committee, consult the LangSoc Constitution.
Current Committee Members (2016-2017):
President: Emma Kouhi (4th Year Linguistics)
Emma is a fourth-year Linguistics student from Finland, a fact she doesn’t quite know whether or not to be proud of. She is incredibly bad at making decisions and thus doesn’t know which part of linguistics she wants to study further, so she’ll probably end up studying all of the things, which may or may not work out. Currently, she’s interested in speech technology and computational linguistics, but terrified by how scary and scientific it all is. She loves answering questions about Finnish and fully admits that it really is quite a weird language.
Vice-President: Alex Hersey (2nd Year Linguistics and Social Anthropology)
Alex H is a second-year Linguistics and Social Anthropology student hailing from Boston. Aside from being a HUGE Shakespeare nerd, she enjoys learning about the linguistic correlations among languages (e.g. Russian, Latin, French, English and Dutch) and arguing about when to use “fewer than” vs. “less than”. Also really likes debating the Oxford Comma. In her downtime, you can find Alex either watching ludicrous amounts of TV or trying to explain the mechanics behind producing EDM or the brilliance behind rap to people.
Secretary: Alex Redpath (2nd Year Philosophy and Linguistics)
Alex R is a second-year Philosophy and Linguistics student trying desperately to drop the former so he can do more linguistics (which you and him both know requires no explanation). He comes from the famous county of Lincolnshire, located in the virtually unknown country of England, and spends most of his time obsessing over historical and comparative linguistics. Naast de taalkunde leert hij ook Nederlands, en waarschijnlijk houdt van alles over Nederland iets te veel.
Treasurer: Griffith Tai
Talks Organiser: Nina Markl (3rd Year Linguistics and English Language)
Nina is a third year Linguistics and English Language student from Austria. She is interested in most things linguistic, especially bilingualism, sociolinguistics, and dialectology. She loves to travel and is on a quest to learn all Romance languages (Spanish and French – check) and some others on the way (because it’s rude and inconvenient to visit a country without being able to order coffee in their language). She also enjoys reading and getting (very) angry about politics.
Talks Organiser: Matthew Sung (3rd Year Linguistics)
Matthew is a Linguistics student from Hong Kong. He is interested in phonetics, phonology, historical linguistics, dialectology and European languages (especially regional languages). Recently, he has picked up an interest in Chinese dialects and syntax. He has learned German, Russian, Spanish and French before and will definitely learn more in the future. In his free time, he likes to listen to music and play musical instruments.
Social Secretary: Brandon Papineau (2nd Year Linguistics)
Brandon is a second year Linguistics student from San Diego, California. Linguistically speaking, his interests revolve mainly around minority & endangered language preservation and education, as evidenced by the fact that he can commonly be found with a book of Cornish grammar in his hand. Additionally, Brandon studies both Spanish and Russian, and has taken courses in Greek and Mandarin in the past, as well. When not studying Linguistics, he can be found both performing in and watching live theatre and hanging out with his friends around Edinburgh.
Social Secretary/PPLS Liaison: Kerianne Stephan (2nd Year Psychology and Linguistics)
This is a wug.
Paper Discussion Co-ordinator: Amy Martin (4th Year Linguistics)
Amy is LangSoc’s Paper Discussion Co-ordinator and is a fourth-year Linguistics student. She is particularly interested in psycholinguistics and learning about obscure languages. She is also learning Spanish and British Sign language and would love to become fluent in them. Outside of University, Amy loves travelling in the UK and abroad, especially around Spanish cities.
First Year Representative: Davy Fenton-Smith (1st Year Linguistics)
Now, there are two of them. There are two _______.
Postgraduate Representative: James K Puchowski (MScR Scandinavian Studies)
Now, there are three of them. Please help.
(Some of) the current committee when we invited David Crystal to give a talk.
Interested in being on the LangSoc Committee?
If you are interested in representing the LEL student community, organising talks and events, putting on social nights out, designing posters and logos, getting to know staff better, having a great addition to your CV and, of course, putting in a little bit of hard work, then you should think about running for a committee position at the next LangSoc AGM.
You may announce your nomination on the night, though it is recommended that you submit your nomination before-hand as this helps the scheduling of the AGM and allows you to stand if you can not attend the AGM.
- President: Amy Martin
- Vice President: Nina Markl
- Secretary: Emma Kouhi
- Treasurer: Clarrie Baker
- Talks Organisers: Jennifer Strenger and Matthew Sung
- Social Secretary: Charlotte Manning
- PPLS Liaison: Hannah Darwin
- Webmaster: James Michaelov
- Ordinary Members: Alex Hersey
- First Year Representative: Brandon Papineau
- President: Michael Stone
- Vice President: Amy Martin
- Secretary: Emma Kouhi
- Treasurer: James Michaelov
- Talks Organisers: Catherine Arnett and Jennifer Strenger
- Social Secretary: Charlotte Manning
- Academic Support Officer: James Reid
- Ordinary Members: Clarrie Baker – Adam Dahmer – Chris Harris
- First Year Representative: Pramay Rai
- Foreign Correspondents: James Puchowski and Charlotte Stockton
- President: James Puchowski
- Vice President: Michael Stone
- Secretary: David Pickering
- Treasurer: Max Dunn
- Talk Organisers: Charlotte Stockton and David Pickering
- Social Secretary: Marissa Field
- First Year Representative: Amy Martin
- Ordinary Members: Junyan Song – Emma Kouhi – Maria Dokovova – Zane Indane
- Librarian: James Puchowski
- President: Aara Cleghorn
- Vice President: Christopher Lewin
- Secretary: Andrea Blomqvist
- Treasurer: Michael Stone
- Talk Organsers: Debbie Cousins & Shyla Hossain
- Social Secretary: James Puchowski
- First Year Representatives: David Pickering
- Librarian & Webmaster: Jamie Sutherland
- Ordinary Members: Rosie Mears – Max Dunn
- Foreign Correspondents: Amy Goodwin-Davies, Kajsa Djärv, Karoline von dem Berge, Richard Littauer, Laura Tomlinson
- President: Alasdair MacLeod
- Vice President: Aara Cleghorn
- Secretary: Ryan Hamilton
- Treasurer: Shyla Hossain
- Talk Organisers: Jennifer Heyward & Lauren Tormey
- Social Secretary: Jamie Sutherland
- Librarian: Pippa Shoemark
- Webmaster: Gina Bruckner
- Ordinary Members: David Arnold, Amie Leigh Fairs, Samantha Goodrick, Christopher Lewin, Peter Owen
- Foreign Correspondents: Gina Bruckner, Amy Goodwin-Davies, Kajsa Djärv, Karoline von dem Berge, Richard Littauer, Laura Tomlinson
- President: Georgina Brown
- Vice President: Amy Goodwin-Davies
- Secretary: Gina Bruckner
- Treasurer: Laura Tomlinson
- Talk Organiser: Kajsa Djärv
- Social Secretary: Claudia Norrgren
- Librarian: Christopher Lewin
- Academic Families Coordinator: Ryan Hamilton
- Webmaster: Pippa Shoemark
- Ordinary Members: Rosie Kay, David Arnold, Laura Aichroth
- Foreign Correspondents: Sam Goodrick, Amie Fairs, Alice Ware, Elizabeth Anderson, Sonja Virta, Richard Littauer
- LEL Class Representatives: Joe Dewhurst, Naomi Beecroft, Signe Jorgensen, Gina Bruckner
- President: Kajsa Djärv
- Secretaries: Lili Fullerton & Elizabeth Anderson
- Treasurer: David Arnold
- Talk Organisers: Kajsa Djärv & David Arnold
- Social Secretary: George Brown
- Librarian: Laura Tomlinson
- Academic Families Coordinators: Elsbeth Helfer, J Rae, Laura Tomlinson
- Webmaster: Richard Littauer
- Ordinary Members: Sam Goodrick, Celia Dugua, Pippa Shoemark
- Foreign Correspondent: Amy Goodwin-Davies
- LEL Class Representatives: Helen Jones, Amanda Grimm, Richard Littauer